Have you ever paused to consider your personal definition of creativity?
I’m fairly certain there are oodles and oodles of articles, books, and blogs on the topic – but I want to know what it means to YOU.
Is Creativity more than just being artistic?
I spent most of my early life believing I was not creative because I compared myself to my brother who is an artistic genius. Back then, I misunderstood creativity, assuming that it was synonymous with artistic. Since I couldn’t paint, draw, or sculpt, I figured I was just a cerebral, non-creative gal.
I actually once thought (when I was younger and sillier) that all the songs might someday be written – that somehow, all the combinations would eventually get used up. Yet here we are, 20 years later, and people continue to write and produce new music every single day.
Back when I saw myself as a non-creative type, I wasn’t giving myself credit for my innate ability to express myself through words, both verbal and written. I didn’t understand that my eye in photography, zest for planning fabulous parties, quirky perspective, and ability to call up great ideas are all indicative of creativity!
To me, creativity is infinite possibility – need only to be accessed by our imagination.
These days, I’m constantly inundated with non-stop creative inspiration. (no complaints here!)
Ability to produce something new through imaginative skill, whether a new solution to a problem, a new method or device, or a new artistic object or form. The term generally refers to a richness of ideas and originality of thinking.”
- allowing your personality to shine
- daring to be different
- allowing the mind to roam freely
- trusting your instincts to produce something different, exciting, and worthwhile
- two ideas coming together to create something new
- doing the same thing over and over again, but making it fresh and different each time
- adapting the rules to suit the situation
- the ability to express yourself freely in whichever way you choose without having your wings clipped
Developing Your Creativity
With mucho a latte of love and respect,